Clyde Tidal Weir, Glasgow, Scotland

In 1901, in an effort to maintain the water level of the Clyde as it runs through the Green, Glasgow Corporation built a tidal weir. This also creates the unusual system of two distinct ecosystems existing side by side, with the Clyde on the west side of the weir being saltwater, while it is fresh water on the east side (the park side). Due to its design the weir is now a listed building. A short distance downstream from the weir is Albert Bridge which connects the area to the Gorbals district south of the river.