The Sydney Harbour Bridge is a heritage-listed steel through arch bridge across Sydney Harbour that carries rail, vehicular, bicycle, and pedestrian traffic between the Sydney central business district (CBD) and the North Shore. The dramatic view of the bridge, the harbour, and the nearby Sydney Opera House is an iconic image of Sydney, and Australia itself. The bridge is nicknamed “The Coathanger” because of its arch-based design.
Under the direction of Dr John Bradfield of the NSW Department of Public Works, the bridge was designed and built by British firm Dorman Long and Co Ltd of Middlesbrough and opened in 1932. The bridge’s design was influenced by the Hell Gate Bridge in New York City. It is the sixth longest spanning-arch bridge in the world and the tallest steel arch bridge, measuring 134 m (440 ft) from top to water level. It was also the world’s widest long-span bridge, at 48.8 m (160 ft) wide, until construction of the new Port Mann Bridge in Vancouver was completed in 2012.
The Sydney Harbour Bridge was added to the Australian National Heritage List on 19 March 2007 and to the New South Wales State Heritage Register on 25 June 1999.
In 1988, work began to build a tunnel to complement the bridge. It was determined that the bridge could no longer support the increased traffic flow of the 1980s. The Sydney Harbour Tunnel was completed in August 1992 and carries only motor vehicles.
|Coordinates||33°51′08″S 151°12′38″ECoordinates: 33°51′08″S 151°12′38″E|
|Carries||Bradfield HighwayNorth Shore railway line1 pedestrian way1 cycleway|
|Crosses||Port Jackson (Sydney Harbour)|
|Locale||Sydney, Australia (Map)|
|Official name||Sydney Harbour Bridge|
|Owner||Government of New South Wales|
|Maintained by||Roads and Maritime Services|
|Preceded by||Gladesville Bridge|
|Design||Through arch bridge|
|Total length||1,149 m (3,770 ft)|
|Width||48.8 m (160 ft)|
|Height||134 m (440 ft)|
|Longest span||503 m (1,650 ft)|
|No. of spans||1|
|Clearance below||49 m (161 ft) at mid-span|
|No. of lanes||8|
|No. of tracks||2|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
|Electrified||1500 V DC overhead|
|Constructed by||Dorman Long & Co|
|Construction start||28 July 1923|
|Construction end||19 January 1932|
|Inaugurated||19 March 1932|
|Opened||19 March 1932|
|Toll||Time of day tolling (southbound only)|
Photo’s Bing – Text Wikipedia